Is Peace Lily Poisonous


If you’re a lover of plants you may have seen the Peace Lily, a beautiful indoor plant that has lush floral arrangements and green leaves.

It’s a top choice due to its ability to purify the air and its low maintenance requirements it is often questioned by people whether it’s safe to have in their home, especially when they have pets or children.

Many people’s minds are “Is Peace Lily poisonous?”

This article will examine the answer in-depth and give you all the information that you require about how to ensure that you and your family members are secure around the plant.

So, let’s take a dive and learn all the details concerning Peace Lily toxicity.

is peace lily poisonous

How Poisonous Is Peace Lily?

Both people and pets can get sick from peace lilies. The sap or juice from peace lilies, if ingested, might prevent calcium from entering the blood, leading to blood poisoning.

Adults don’t get sick from it much, but pets and small children can get very sick from it. A lot of the sap from this plant contains oxalates.

If you eat peace lilies, these oxalate crystals will take calcium out of your blood quickly.

Because of this, calcium leaves the blood quickly and forms something called calcium oxalate crystals.

Because of these toxic reactions in both people’s and pets’ bodies, disrupts the way cell membranes work & causes health problems.

Are Peace Lilies Dangerous to Small Kids?

Young children are active, and while playing they try to put everything in their mouths. Eating peace lilies is dangerous for children.

The neurotoxic crystals can cause irritation of the skin and mouth, as well as vomiting & nausea.

It would be advisable to keep your children away from the peace lily in order to avoid more issues. if your child has swallowed any portion of the peace lily, seek medical attention immediately.

Are Peace Lilies Poisonous to Humans to Touch?

Yes, if handled or consumed, peace lilies (Spathiphyllum spp.) can be toxic to people. The plant contains calcium oxalate crystals.

These when they come in contact with skin may cause irritation, swelling, and cause itching. A number of symptoms, including trouble swallowing, mouth and throat swelling and burning, vertigo, vomiting, and diarrhea, can occur if the crystals are consumed.

In extreme circumstances, eating peace lilies can cause breathing problems and even mortality.

It’s important to handle peace flower arrangements carefully, wear gloves while handling them and keep them out of reach of animals and children.

Is Peace Lily Poisonous to Cats?

The peace lily is thought to be very dangerous for cats. In the cells of a peace lily, there are crystals of calcium oxalate. All parts of a plant, like stems and leaves, have these crystals.

If a cat eats or bites the leaves and stems, crystals in the plant come out and harm the animal by suffocating its tissues.

Even if the cat doesn’t eat all of the peace lilies, the damage to its mouth can still be painful because of these reactions. How dangerous this plant is for your cats depends on how much they have eaten.

Signs of peace lily poisoning in cats

  • Burning and irritation in the mouth
  • Having trouble swallowing
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Too much drooling
  • More saliva production
  • Diarrhea
  • Depression
  • Loss of hunger
  • Oral irritation
  • Cardiac abnormalities

How to keep peace lily away from cats?

  • Cats won’t go near your peace lilies if you spray or drop cat repellents there.
  • Lemon or orange juice can be sprinkled on the peace lily. Cats don’t like the strong smell & as soon as they smell it, they run away.
  • Your peace lily plant should be surrounded with aluminum foil. Aluminum foil is unappealing to cats in terms of taste, sound, touch, and even walking on it.
  • Tea leaves may be used to deter cats by scattering them about your plant.
  • To prevent cats from nibbling on your peace lilies, you may also isolate the plant in a room with a lockable door.

Is Peace Lily Toxic to Dogs?

The peace lily is dangerous for dogs to eat. Like cats, if your dog chews or consumes stems, or leaves of a peace-lily, it could cause a lot of irritation and pain in the mouth.

Because of calcium oxalate crystals, the mouth & throat tissues of your dog hurt a lot & can make him sick.

If your dog consumes a substantial amount of peace lily, it may develop severe health issues. Consult a nearby physician promptly to resolve this issue.

Signs of peace lily poisoning in dogs

  • Diarrhea
  • Having trouble swallowing
  • Larger pupils
  • Drooling
  • The mouth and lips swell up
  • Loss of hunger
  • Vomiting
  • Pawing

How to keep peace lily away from dogs?

  • Keep your peace lily in a location that your dog cannot get.
  • White vinegar or apple bitter can be sprayed on your peace lily to keep dogs away.
  • You may spice up your peace lilies by sprinkling them with crushed red pepper or powdered mustard. Your dog’s sensitive nose will be irritated by pepper & they will avoid the plant.
  • Employ harmless repellent sprays to keep your dog away from the plants.

What Part of the Peace Lily is Poisonous?

Peace lily (Spathiphyllum) is a source of calcium oxalate crystals that may cause discomfort and irritation after ingestion.

They are mostly located in the stems, leaves and flowering plants. It is therefore essential that peace lilies are kept away from the reach for pets and children who might be enticed to eat or chew on them.

If you consume them, It’s best for you to get medical help right away.

Is Peace Lily Poisonous to Toddlers?

Peace lilies are a good choice, but they can cause poisoning to children in the event that they consume any of the plants.

The plant has calcium oxalate crystals. These could cause swelling and irritation in the throat, mouth and stomach.

Children are especially susceptible to poisoning by peace lilies because they tend to explore their surroundings through putting things into their mouths.

It is important that peace lilies are kept out reach of children and make them aware that they shouldn’t consume or even touch plants while under the supervision of an adult.

If you believe that your child has consumed a small amount of a peace plant seek out a physician immediately.

Are All Types of Peace Lily Plants Toxic?

Yes, all types of peace lily plants are toxic. The peace lily contains calcium oxalate crystals, which are poisonous to humans and pets if ingested.

Symptoms of peace lily toxicity can include mouth and throat irritation, difficulty breathing, swelling, and vomiting.

It’s important to keep peace lilies out of reach of children and pets and to wash your hands after handling the plant or its soil.

In the event that you believe you, or anyone else has consumed any of the parts of a peace lily Get medical attention right away.

Conclusion – Is Peace Lily Poisonous

In conclusion, if you eat Peace Lily, you, your cat, or your dog could get sick. Its leaves have calcium oxalate crystals that can make your mouth, tongue & throat sore and swell up.

If a lot is eaten, it can make you throw up, feel sick, and have trouble swallowing.

Keep children and pets away from Peace Lily plants, and wash your hands well after touching them so you don’t get irritate.

Peace Lily is generally safe to have in your home or office as long as you take the right precautions & handle the plant carefully.

FAQs – Is Peace Lily Poisonous

Is Peace Lily poisonous to humans?

Yes it is. The Peace Lily plant contains calcium oxalate crystals, which could cause mild to extreme symptoms of poisoning when consumed.

What are the symptoms of Peace Lily poisoning in humans?

The symptoms associated with Peace Lily poisoning may include throat and mouth irritation swelling of the lips, tongue and throat, difficulties breath, abdominal pain diarrhea, and vomiting.

Can touching a Peace Lily cause poisoning?

Contacting the Peace Lily can cause skin irritations or rashes, however it’s not likely be poisonous unless you inhale any component or part of it.

Can pets get sick from ingesting Peace Lily leaves?

Yes, pets like dogs and cats can become sick from eating Peace Lily leaves. Calcium oxalate crystals which can be harmful to humans could result in vomiting, diarrhea and difficulty swallowing for pets.

How much Peace Lily ingestion is dangerous?

It’s hard to know the quantity that Peace Lily ingestion that is hazardous, since it is dependent on factors like the age of the person, weight and general health. But even tiny doses of consumption can trigger mild to extreme signs of poisoning.

How to treat Peace Lily poisoning in humans?

If you suspect that you or someone else has consumed Peace Lily, call the poison control center or seek medical assistance immediately. The treatment could include rinsing the mouth, using activated charcoal, or offering assistance to treat the symptoms.

How to prevent Peace Lily poisoning?

To avoid Peace Lily poisoning, keep the plant out of the reach of pets and children, and do not ingest the seeds that is part of it. Use gloves when working with the plant, and thoroughly wash your hands following handling the plant.

Is it safe to keep Peace Lily in the house?

Yes, it’s secure to maintain Peace Lily in the house in the event that you are careful to avoid contact with or consumption of the plant. If you do have children or pets it is best to keep the plant in a closed area.

Can Peace Lily be used for medicinal purposes?

While many traditional medicines make use of Peace Lily as a herbal remedy, it’s not a recommended treatment for medical purposes because of its toxic nature.

Is Peace Lily safe for use in offices and public places?

Peace Lily is often employ in public and office areas as a indoor plant because of its ability to purify air. However, it is essential to make sure that the plant isn’t accessible to pets and children and isn’t ingested.

Leave a Comment

nineteen − eight =